Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Sin Sucks

WARNING: Some of the things I say in this post may seem harsh or insensitive.  I'm going to say them anyway.

When we think about sin usually we think of something that is fun to do, something that is highly desirable.  We wouldn't constantly be sinning if there was no motivation to do it.  Sin is fun.  There, I said it.  It's true.

Here is my basic assessment of sin.  At its core, sin is simply separation from God.  Anything in opposition to God or His will.....is sin, and it causes a literal separation from God.  Sin is the only thing in the world that God cannot live side by side with.

When we sin, we push ourselves away from God and push God away from us.  It causes a massive gap between us and God.  Think of it this way:  you are sitting side by side with God at the dinner table.  Each time you sin, you are welcoming the enemy to come put a chair between you and God and take a seat (and they will take that seat every time, I promise you).  As the sin mounts up, you and God, who were previously enjoying close conversation and fellowship, are sitting more and more chairs away from one another.  You know how it can get at a big table when you go out to eat with friends and you end up being at the end of the table so you can't talk with anyone, especially the people on the other end who always for some reason seem to be having the most energetic, enthusiastic, epic conversations of all time?  Well this is similar, except replace those fun people at the end of the table with GOD, the freakin' king of the entire universe.  Eventually it gets to the point where you have to shout across the table, over the chattering lies of the enemy, to be able to speak with God and, likewise, you have to interpret God's voice through all of that same chatter.  Then finally, it will come to a point where you are so far from God that you can't hear a single thing.  If you were constantly seeing visions before....they stop coming as frequently.  If you were having awesome worship sessions with the Lord that brought you to tears.....those stop.  If you were having dreams sent by the Lord.....those stop.  Your mind starts wandering onto things of this world instead of things of God's kingdom.  In short, it just really, really sucks.  God can pull you out of it, but while in this crappy world of sin, everything sucks.

I don't know about you guys, but when I am in deep sin, I CANNOT hear God's voice.  I stop having any sort of prophetic visions or dreams.  I have no motivation to do Godly things.  I grow lazy, weak, selfish, arrogant, deceitful, and proud.  Then....the worst thing of all....is that I BLAME IT ON GOD!!!  I act like its HIS fault!  I'm like, "God, where are you at!?  I've been sittin' here half-heartedly praying to you for days now and you are nowhere to be found.  I thought you said you'd never leave me or forsake me.  What the heck happened to that? Blah blah blah blah blah."

It takes a big ol' slap to the face from God before I realize how much of an irresponsible joke I am and how it is TOTALLY my fault every time.  God is always reaching out to me, trying to speak to and through me, trying to help me, trying to encourage me, trying to prove Himself to me.  Unfortunately, but honestly, I just am always pushing him away each time I sin.  And yes, I know, we are saved by grace and our sin is washed away by the blood of Jesus..............IF we repent.   IF we repent, our sins are forgiven.  Yeah, there are requirements for the forgiveness of sin.  You don't really hear that preached very often, but it's true.  Everyone just talks about the grace part of it and that's the end of the story, but that is so far off.  I don't want to downplay the grace of God at all.  In fact, He PERSONALLY told me to never underestimate His grace, ever.  So I never will, for all I know He could decide to save all people even if they don't turn to Him out of his unending supply of grace.  I don't know, but I do know that in the Bible He gives us specific requirements for forgiveness of our sins.  For instance, as I said before, we have to repent of them.  That means we have to legitimately TRY (we don't have to be perfect and forever stop but we have to try) to stop committing that sin.  In addition, we have to FORGIVE every other sin against us.  Jesus spoke plainly when He said, "If you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins."  That is Matthew 6:15 BTdub if anyone wants to find it.  It is in other places in the Bible as well.  Forgiving others is a HUGE deal.  Living with unforgiveness in your heart can kill you.

Back to the sin though, it is a big deal.  It creates this massive, unattainable gap between us and God.  Don't you guys get why God hates sin so much????  His hate for sin is only so strong because His love for us is SO STRONG!  Let me say that again in all caps......

GOD'S HATE FOR SIN IS ONLY SO STRONG BECAUSE HIS LOVE FOR US IS SO STRONG!

Our sin separates us from God.  It hurts Him so much when we are in sin because then He cannot abide with us and simply BE WITH US like He wants to.  He loves us so much that instead of just wiping us all out and creating new, perfect, sinless beings, He decided to put all of that sin that we did onto His own son, so that we can be pure before Him.  The sacrifice of Jesus is more than most people realize, but that's a topic for another time.

There is a song by my man Jimmy Needham (if you don't know him look him up and listen to some of his stuff) called "The Great Love Story."  It is all about how our sin has created a massive divide between us and God and how no one was able to fill that divide no matter how hard we tried.........until.......UNTIL......Jesus came.  The song ends with these words....."All glory.....and all honor be......to the God that filled the divide."

Jesus fills that divide for us, but if we keep on living a life of sin, his precious gift of forgiveness to us will be in vain and we will miss out on all of the things God wants to give us.  I am BY NO MEANS saying that we need to be perfect and sinless.  In fact, it is impossible.  I sin all the time.  I hate it, but I do it.  It is a battle between flesh and spirit.  My spirit is willing but my body is weak.  We are BORN into sin and it is our nature, but we have to be truly repentant and truly forgiving of others.  If we are not, then we aren't forgiven.  It's harsh, but it's true.

I just want to finish with this, and I might be calling some people out, including myself, but here it goes.  It may not be the case, but you may as well at least consider it.  With that said, if you feel like God is distant from you or like you aren't hearing from God like you should or experiencing a life of real miracles and signs from God.....if you feel like God is not coming through for you......if you do not see God's promises being fulfilled in your life......then stop sinning.  Just like how having a lack of faith limits what God can do for us, being in sin is the same way.  The more we sin, the less God can operate in our lives.

To sum it all up, sin sucks and we should try really really really really really hard to stop doing it.  Even though it is fun to sin, it is temporary and in the long run it only smokes you and clouds you from communion with God.  Trust me, the instant satisfaction of sin is not even close to being worth sacrificing close fellowship with God.  As always, if you have questions or concerns with any of this stuff, just hit me up.  Until next time.....PEACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment