Monday, November 15, 2010

Worship

The Bible talks about how we are supposed to worship God in spirit and in truth (John 4:23-24).  Shout out to my sister Katey who I love very much by the way.  She told me to start giving references for the verses that I'm referring to so that you guys don't think I'm lying about any of this stuff.

Anyway, the Bible tells us to worship in spirit and in truth.  If you've been a Christian for a long time, you have probably heard people say this.....and I don't know about you, but when I heard people saying that stuff I had NO idea what the heck it meant.  For the most part, the people saying it don't know what it even means to worship God in spirit and in truth.  Here is my take:

To worship God in "truth" means to be totally real about it.  In other words, don't just pretend to worship God and sing hymns just because everyone else around you is doing it at a church service or because you feel like you have to.  That's not real.  It has to be REAL worship.  You have to legitimately be praising God for who He is, what He's done, what He's doing, and what He's going to do.  God knows when your heart isn't really in it.  Other times people will be singing worship songs, but they won't even be singing them to God, they will instead be singing them to people so that everyone can hear what great singing voices they have.  Unfortunately, people do this a lot.  It annoys me.  When you are worshiping God....worship God, no one else matters.  My best worship times with the Lord are always when I am alone in my room, laying on my floor mat that I bought specifically for the purpose of laying on while worshiping/praying, and just speaking directly to God with no distractions and no other people to worry about.  It's just He and I.  I love it and God always shows up and I just out of nowhere will start to cry or laugh or whatever....literally.  Not afraid to admit it either, actually pretty proud of it.  I don't cry out of my own thoughts, its just a sweeping of the Holy Spirit that I can't contain.  Worship ushers in the presence of God.  Don't ask me why, but God always shows up in places of true worship.

On to the next one....worshiping in "spirit."  Now what the heck could THAT mean???  I had no idea for the longest time.  Then I came across this verse in Romans chapter 12 (verse 1 for those that want to know).  It says this...."Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy , to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship" - Romans 12:1.  It says that offering our bodies as living sacrifices holy and pleasing to God is our spiritual act of worship.  Therefore, to worship God in spirit is to live your life in a way pleasing to Him.

In a nutshell, the worship that God desires from us is to keep it real with Him and live our lives for Him.  It's really simple.  It's actually really easy to do.  God doesn't require perfect worship, he just requires that we keep it real and do the best we can to live our lives with the goal of pleasing Him.

Worship is a very powerful thing that not only honors God, but also enlivens us, and protects us from the enemy.  Satan and demons HATE worship of God.  They can't stand to be around it.  When the devil is on your back, just start worshiping God.  9 times out of 10 that's all it's gonna take.  I can attest to this personally.  God always tells me to start worshiping Him whenever there are demons around.  Often times He just tells me a random Psalm (well to me it's random because I don't know which Psalm is which just by number) and tells me to start reading it out loud.  It always ends up being a Psalm all about how mighty and invincible God is.  Demons hate it, because they know it's true.

There's definitely way more to be said, but I'ma just keep it short and sweet.  So until next time, PEACE!!!

1 comment: