Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Nephilim and the Book of Enoch

So, the first couple verses of Genesis chapter 6 intrigue me.  Basically, they talk about how angels came down from heaven and slept with women and had children who were half-demon, half-human giants.  They were called the Nephilim.  "They were the heroes of old, men of renown."

I don't know about you, but that is pretty freakin' nuts.  I don't claim to know all the ins and outs of this whole situation, but it seems to me that it is one of those things that we have just decided to cover up and not talk about as Christians.

Now, I realize that it is not that dire of an issue, but it is very interesting.  The Nephilim (race of half-demon half-human giants) are mentioned later on in the Bible also in Numbers and in 1st and 2nd Samuel.  One of those times is when the Israelite spies who were spying on the inhabitants of the promised land went in to scout out the land to see if the Israelites should move in and take it (after leaving Egypt).  The men came back with a report about how the Nephilim were in the land and they (the spies) were "like grasshoppers" compared to them.  They were all afraid with the exception of Joshua and Caleb (who later went in with the next generation and pwned the giants). Also, Goliath, the giant whom anointed king-to-be David rocked in the face with a stone from a sling was a descendant of the Nephilim.  He was a descendent of Anak (who was a Nephilite).  Later on in 2nd Samuel 21 it talks about David and his mighty men fighting the Philistines again and defeating a string of giants (Ishbi-Benob, Saph, the brother of Goliath for whom no name is mentioned, and another giant with 6 fingers and 6 toes on each hand and foot).  It also strongly alludes to the fact that there were many "descendents of the giants (or Nephilim)" in Gath, the city from where Goliath hailed from.

Anyway, I was thinking about my God.  My God is gracious, loving, kind, merciful, and the list goes on.  I know this to be true from personal experience.  It is how He treats me.  Therefore, it has been difficult for me to understand why He would flood the entire earth and wipe out almost everything on it.  I see how bad our world is today, and He still puts up with us and lets his unending grace abound.  It just makes me think......"man, the world must have REALLY REALLY sucked just before Noah's flood."

Therefore, I dug deeper into all this stuff about there being Nephilim on the earth and how God was disgusted with it and such, and I came across the Book of Enoch.

The Book of Enoch is a collection of writings attributed to the seventh from the line of Adam (as in 7 generations below Adam).  He was one of two people mentioned in the Bible who never had to face death but was so favored by God that he was simply taken into heaven (the other was Elijah).  The Book of Enoch was apparently once revered as Scripture but was refused canonicity at the Council of Nicea.  The council of Nicea was when church leaders got together and decided to come to agreement and make one "canonized" Bible for all of Christianity.  It is my belief that this council was guided by the Holy Spirit and put together the Bible as it was supposed to be.  With that said, I still do also believe that there are other writings that were omitted from the Bible that were the inspired words of God as well (just as God is still speaking new things through new prophets today).  I haven't looked into it TOO much, and I know these things can be dangerous, so I am being very careful with it.....but I definitely am leaning towards the Book of Enoch being true testimony from the highly-favored Enoch himself.

The Bible quotes the Book of Enoch more than once.  This goes to show that the writer's of the Bible believed the Book of Enoch to be scriptural and true.  Jude, the brother of Jesus, uses a direct quote from the Book of Enoch.  It's a really short book so you can read it for yourself if you don't believe me (it is right before Revelation near the very end of the Bible).  Also, the Book of Enoch was found with the Dead Sea Scrolls, which many of us use to reaffirm the integrity of our Bible.  Also, as far as I have read from it, the book does not contradict anything in the Bible at all.

What is the Book of Enoch all about you might ask?  Well, I am no expert and have not read the whole thing, but it goes into detail about many heavenly things that take place during the early years of the earth.  I think of it as an account of the heavens during the time of Genesis as opposed to an account of the earth.  It goes into detail about the battle in heaven (when Lucipher rebels and is cast out).  It also goes into detail into what is talked about briefly in Genesis 6 concerning angels leaving heaven to go sleep with women.  It is actually very, very interesting.  It is my guess that it was left out of the canon because it was not absolutely necessary for us to know, nor was it easy to take in.  Admittedly, it's some pretty freaky stuff.

I don't like to speak too much about things that I don't know.  So I'm not going to divulge much further into it.  I will say this though.  I think we severely underestimate just HOW TERRIBLE the world must have been for God to decide to destroy everything on it but Noah and his fam.  My belief is that there were Nephilim roaming the earth, a TOTAL abomination to what God intended mankind and the whole earth in general to be.  God was SO disgusted by the world, he destroyed most of it and started over.  Think about how awful our world is now and has been in the past, and yet it can't compare to what it was just before the flood.  That means it was worse than the holocaust, a massacre of millions of people, God's CHOSEN people no less.  Demons, or fallen angels, sleeping with women is a big no-no in God's eyes.

It all sounds very crazy, but I personally believe it to be true.  I don't care if it makes me seem crazy along with it.  I just gotta be real about it, it's what I believe.  In case you were wondering, I also believe that the illuminati and other secret societies are real and very, very powerful and ultimately controlled by Satan himself.  I believe in the power of my God and His sovereignty above these things as well though.  And I KNOW Jesus to be the only answer to the terrible condition of our world.

I'm either crazy, a liar, or I'm right.  There are only 3 options.  Pick one.

I have way more to say on these subjects, but I'm pretty freakin' tired right now.  So I'm gonna go to sleep, if you want to talk about this stuff with me, or even if you're concerned with me because this stuff is really weird or you think it is"un-Biblical," just holler at me.  I'd love to explain myself.  So until next time.....PEACE!

2 comments:

  1. Well lets see I tend to be a bit scrambled but I'll do my best to be clear here about a few things.
    1-I think this is fairly well put together (scripture references galore is always a healthy sign) and am curious to find out why the book of enoch was not in the canonized scriptures by the council of Nicea.
    2-I recall several conversations regarding this very topic with some of my brothers from Solid Rock. One new thing that I thought but i am glad that you reiterate is that the world pre-flood must have been terrible... Although to my own shame I had made the asumption that most of the heritage of the Nephilim had been done away with during the flood. The fact that traits of theirs turn up again later on (thanks for the scripture references I hardly connected the dots between Gen. and the traits described in Numbers and 1st n 2nd Sam. and the most obvious David & Goliath) would indicate that someone on the ark had a portion of this blood in them right? Dude I'd love to get together with you and chat, I wonder what Jesus would have to say about this.
    Good job staying focused on Gods goodness I can tell that you are about His glory and His kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My best guess is that angels simply slept with women again later on (after the flood), which I'm sure would have made God PRETTY upset. I don't think Noah or any of his family would have had giant blood in them. I don't know for sure and I haven't even spent a WHOLE lot of time with the Lord Himself on this. I'm pretty sure all He's told me about all this is that it's true, but not to go around preaching it, but be willing to defend it if necessary.

    It also makes sense though that there would be tons of ancient civilizations and such that have drawings of giants all over the place and things like that and "visitors from the skies."

    The thing I love the most about it is how Caleb goes in fearlessly and works all the giants and how David and his boys go in and work all the giants too....SUCH ballers

    ReplyDelete